Well my adventure in wood heat has restarted today. After months of ordering, cutting, stacking and loading 8 cords of wood, I lit the fire tonight.
I know that heating with wood is old hat for many Islanders but this is only my second season. I am finding that heating with wood is like baking bread. The recipe is only a starting point. It is really an art. I am a wood virgin. But I think there are a bunch of us out there. Maybe we can help each other?
My intent is to start a wiki soon for other wood virgins. I hope that on the wiki we can talk about:
- What are the best systems
- Who are the best technicians - chimney, furnace installation etc
- What are the choices in wood and who is reliable as a supplier
- What are the stacking choices both inside and outside
- What is the lore of running the furnace optimally
- What are the economics
Watch this space for more if you are interested